× General discussion

What is a Facebook Algorithm?

1 week 9 hours ago #8450 by onieceg
Interesting news Gill....thanks.

Foundation Member

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #8426 by Gill Poole

Dennis wrote: Gill I am still finding value in Facebook. When I started using it more often a few months ago, at first I wasn't seeing
many posts. Generally about 25 on the wall, then dead space.

I spend time reacting to, and adding to the conversation on posts put up by those on my friends list, before putting
up a post. Timing for me is important, because most of the people on my friends list are in other countries.

When I was building my friends list I was working on average 20 hours a day. I was online in the middle of my night
when people in other countries were online. Most of my content creation then was done right after I woke up.
During creation time I was not active on any social media. This means even today posts made at the wrong time
are not going to be seen by people local to me.

Groups hopefully are going to have value as well. Right now it is not simple to share to groups. People want pictures,
the pictures can't be seen until people click through without doing a lot of extra work.

That's great news Dennis keep it up... as I've said before I have a love hate relationship with FB and often it is to do with the time consuming aspect of what you are doing...I'm not new to FB, but I do know that they are moving to having their own TV channel and those using their 'Ads Manager' will have more reach (organic and paid) and hence the need for longer videos (so they can place ads in between breaks) ...even video series will have place on FB...Get ready for FB on TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anita:Technical Support

1 week 1 day ago #8414 by Barbarella

Dennis wrote: These are the latest updates.

Do you know that FB changes their algorithms about every 3-4 weeks? I didn't! Maybe that's why it seems so screwy sometimes. Here are a few pointers I learned...

1. Post no more than 2-3 times per day on your wall.
2. Emojis help. Add them at the beginning and end of your posts. Evidently the algorithm operates on a point system. and emojis give you more "points." Didn't know that, either.
3. This is a biggie. DO NOT put links to an external site in your post. Put them in as a comment.
4. The more engagement you get within the first 15 minutes, the better. If someone comments, comment back right away if you can. A bit of conversation is better than simply saying thanks for the like or whatever.
5. Keep your friends list somewhere in the 2000-3000 range.
6. Of course, FB also likes it when you use Messenger. Have 4-5 conversations per day if possible.
7. If you're getting ready to do a special Live or make a post you want a lot of people to see, go be social FIRST. Go through your Newsfeed and comment on other people's posts. Again, make a little conversation if you can.
8. FB loves Gifs, so use 'em, lol. Kinda like the emojis, I guess.
9. You ever tag someone as being in a photo when they aren't? I've had that happen to me a lot, and I don't like it. Neither does FB, so stop doing it! If you want someone to see it because you think they'll like it, tag them in the comments instead.
10. Pics and videos are good, but only if it's something original. If it's already been shared like 10-15 times, not many people are going to see when YOU share.

Hope you learned something. Now go out there and boost your engagement!

Yes I have learnt so much thanks for sharing it

1 week 1 day ago #8410 by Dennis
Gill I am still finding value in Facebook. When I started using it more often a few months ago, at first I wasn't seeing
many posts. Generally about 25 on the wall, then dead space.

I spend time reacting to, and adding to the conversation on posts put up by those on my friends list, before putting
up a post. Timing for me is important, because most of the people on my friends list are in other countries.

When I was building my friends list I was working on average 20 hours a day. I was online in the middle of my night
when people in other countries were online. Most of my content creation then was done right after I woke up.
During creation time I was not active on any social media. This means even today posts made at the wrong time
are not going to be seen by people local to me.

Groups hopefully are going to have value as well. Right now it is not simple to share to groups. People want pictures,
the pictures can't be seen until people click through without doing a lot of extra work.

1 week 1 day ago #8397 by Gill Poole

Do you know that FB changes their algorithms about every 3-4 weeks? I didn't! Maybe that's why it seems so screwy sometimes. Here are a few pointers I learned...

1. Post no more than 2-3 times per day on your wall. If possible at the same time daily one post at a time.
2. Emojis help. Add them at the beginning and end of your posts. Evidently the algorithm operates on a point system. and emojis give you more "points." Didn't know that, either.
3. This is a biggie. DO NOT put links to an external site in your post. Put them in as a comment or the link where you want someone to go in a graphic.
4. The more engagement you get within the first 15 minutes, the better. If someone comments, comment back right away if you can. A bit of conversation is better than simply saying thanks for the like or whatever.
6. Of course, FB also likes it when you use Messenger. Have 4-5 conversations per day if possible.
7. If you're getting ready to do a special Live or make a post you want a lot of people to see, go be social FIRST. Go through your Newsfeed and comment on other people's posts. Again, make a little conversation if you can.
8. FB loves Gifs, so use 'em , lol. Kinda like the emojis, I guess.
9. You ever tag someone as being in a photo when they aren't? I've had that happen to me a lot, and I don't like it. Neither does FB, so stop doing it! If you want someone to see it because you think they'll like it, tag them in the comments instead.
10. Pics and videos are good, but only if it's something original. If it's already been shared like 10-15 times, not many people are going to see when YOU share.

Good on you Dennis but even some of these are dated now. # FB does want longer videos (so they can place adverts in them) They are really pushing for longer videos because they are moving towards more movie presentation and video content.

# Remember to like your own post... this is a biggy

# You can add your own link... if you seperate the url by placing a space between the dot and com ... eg... goodtogo. com

# Messenger is where your 'pass it on messages' come to die on my FB wall

But to be honest I'm sooo over FB... I only intend to use the FB ads manager when I need to... that's what most marketing people are using it for. It's good for this. Of course it does cost.

Good to see you doing all this research. You really are setting the standards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred1

1 week 1 day ago #8396 by Dennis
These are the latest updates.

1. Post no more than 2-3 times per day on your wall. If possible at the same time daily one post at a time.
3. This is a biggie. DO NOT put links to an external site in your post. Put them in as a comment or the link where you want someone to go in a graphic.
8. FB loves Gifs, so use 'em , lol. Kinda like the emojis, I guess.

2 weeks 4 days ago #8005 by Paddy Delaney
Good suggestion

2 weeks 5 days ago #7996 by Dennis

Rhonda Bethune wrote:

3. This is a biggie. DO NOT put links to an external site in your post. Put them in as a comment.

Excellent list especially the one about putting external links into the comments not your posts. I guess that means our S2T links?

Rhonda, only if they pertain in some way to the post. Earlier today I could have added a link to a company which sells bricks. This is because it pertained to the post. The interrelation is important otherwise people will see it as unwanted.

2 weeks 5 days ago #7995 by Rhonda Bethune

Excellent list especially the one about putting external links into the comments not your posts. I guess that means our S2T links?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred1

1 month 1 day ago #7618 by Dennis
These are the latest updates.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Annamarie, Angela, Barbarella, VivianEisenecher, Rhonda Bethune, Deb Deb

1 month 1 day ago #7611 by Gill Poole
For those of you posting on FaceBook

I thought it timely to post this live broadcast from one of the most influential Facebook gurus around. Mari Smith is the brand ambassador for FB and worth bookmarking and/or liking her page. She is one of many experts in the online world...

She's very easy to listen to, has amazing tips and posts reqularily on Social Media Examinar

Keep up to date with the rapidly change FB algorithms.

LINK: Mari Smith

LINK: Social Media Examiner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Taylor, VivianEisenecher, Rhonda Bethune, Deb Deb

Time to create page: 1.601 seconds

Translate

Login

Events

January 2018
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31