× General discussion

Robyn's rambling - words and travels

4 weeks 1 hour ago - 4 weeks 1 hour ago #4876 by Gill Poole

Robyn Lockhart wrote: you make it sound so easy.
i am not yet using my smart phone as camera and i believe it has very limited memory. I would not always have to time to clear a recording for days on end some net connections have been very dodgy, power outages etc too. Other places are fine but often not staying anywhere long enough. I personally have always used my memory rather than cameras.
once i get back to nz i will spend some time learning zoom i can see the need to. and will buy a small tablet so i don't have to lug my laptop around

Hi Robyn, Yes i agree with you, I know what it's like there. I used a power pack to get around... in fact I have two power packs now cos my phone runs out of juice so quickly... just enjoy the moments and environment...love your ramblings.

So many things to do and see there... pleased the rains are abating... can't imagine what it would be like there with the rain and the heat.
It got up to 40 degrees when we were there and mobile phones can overheat quite quickly in those environments. Mine did frequently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robyn Lockhart

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 weeks 1 hour ago - 4 weeks 1 hour ago #4875 by Annamarie

Robyn Lockhart wrote: you make it sound so easy.
i am not yet using my smart phone as camera and i believe it has very limited memory. I would not always have to time to clear a recording for days on end some net connections have been very dodgy, power outages etc too. Other places are fine but often not staying anywhere long enough. I personally have always used my memory rather than cameras.
once i get back to nz i will spend some time learning zoom i can see the need to. and will buy a small tablet so i don't have to lug my laptop around

Hi Robyn, I took out the smart phone as its much easier to just do a quick video , a facility your phone will have then if you have data upload it straight to you tube, an app your phone will also have. If you use your phone to write in your FG thread just click on you tube link and paste in url link.

True, our memory is good for photos but not so good when you are trying to describe the same picture to others who are seeing something totally different lol

In regards to your phone memory use your usb cord to shift your photos to your laptop if you have it. If not shift it to the cloud storage - another app your phone will have or insert another memory card.

The zoom idea was just a thought and looking forward to seeing your photos

4 weeks 2 hours ago #4874 by Robyn Lockhart
you make it sound so easy.

4 weeks 2 hours ago - 4 weeks 2 hours ago #4873 by Annamarie
Hi Robyn, Just had a thought why don't you zoom record some great scenes and post them in here.

Use your laptop, or a tablet,
1. click on zoom start meeting,
2. make sure you have clicked on record
3. then move camera to sight you want us to share with us
4. then stop record
5. End Meeting
6. Wait for recording to convert
7. Then upload to you tube
8. And link or embed in here

Keep recordings short max 5 mins as easier to upload :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela, PattiH, Deb Deb, Robyn Lockhart

4 weeks 6 hours ago #4865 by Angela

Robyn Lockhart wrote: I'm loving Kampot small town big river lovely people (Woman running the guesthouse here wants me to be her mum). Bogor mountain visit proved to be not only butterflys but also buddhist temple (s) including live chanting prayers etc in one, old french catholic church that had a holy presence still despite being derelict, and a older style one that had pretty much hindu looking rows of buddhas including ganesh or hanuman very weird and hard to tell.

A lot of the destruction was under the khmer rouge or pol pot etc.
The driver was actually pretty good though singing karaoke into a microphone while driving would not be allowed in any of the countries of the people around me. The breaks overheated coming down the winding steep road and i wondered why he didn't know to change down gears? A couple of the guys behind me nodded in agreement but neither of them took up my suggestion to tell him. There was no point me telling him cos I knew he wouldn't listen to an old woman like me!

Weather improved again today proving the monsoon is in its last throes and dry season approaches.

LOL Robyn when did men ever listen to a woman? I think we have our men trained a bit though and now we have a woman PM they have no choice.:ohmy: :)

4 weeks 8 hours ago #4861 by Gill Poole
Lovely to hear your ramblings Robyn. Everyone has a story to tell about the war...destroyed so many lives.
Thanks for sharing.

4 weeks 12 hours ago #4857 by PattiH

Robyn Lockhart wrote: I'm loving Kampot small town big river lovely people (Woman running the guesthouse here wants me to be her mum). Bogor mountain visit proved to be not only butterflys but also buddhist temple (s) including live chanting prayers etc in one, old french catholic church that had a holy presence still despite being derelict, and a older style one that had pretty much hindu looking rows of buddhas including ganesh or hanuman very weird and hard to tell.

The driver was actually pretty good though singing karaoke into a microphone while driving would not be allowed in any of the countries of the people around me. The breaks overheated coming down the winding steep road and i wondered why he didn't know to change down gears? A couple of the guys behind me nodded in agreement but neither of them took up my suggestion to tell him. There was no point me telling him cos I knew he wouldn't listen to an old woman like me!

Weather improved again today proving the monsoon is in its last throes and dry season approaches.

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself, Robyn.

Take Care!

Partner S2T

4 weeks 12 hours ago - 4 weeks 4 hours ago #4856 by Robyn Lockhart
I'm loving Kampot small town big river lovely people (Woman running the guesthouse here wants me to be her mum). Bogor mountain visit proved to be not only butterflys but also buddhist temple (s) including live chanting prayers etc in one, old french catholic church that had a holy presence still despite being derelict, and a older style one that had pretty much hindu looking rows of buddhas including ganesh or hanuman very weird and hard to tell.

The driver was actually pretty good though singing karaoke into a microphone while driving would not be allowed in any of the countries of the people around me. The brakes overheated coming down the winding steep road and i wondered why he didn't know to change down gears? A couple of the guys behind me nodded in agreement but neither of them took up my suggestion to tell him. There was no point me telling him cos I knew he wouldn't listen to an old woman like me!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Deb Deb

4 weeks 18 hours ago #4850 by Robyn Lockhart

Robyn Lockhart wrote:

Robyn Lockhart wrote: Butterfly beauty

In order of appearance

Bright (fluorescent) yellow slightly smaller but sorta regular size
Very huge Black and white approx 4 to 6 inch 10 to 15 cm like a big hand
Pretty markings similar size and appearance but slightly less white than our monarch butterfly which was perfect camouflage in the orange/brown leaves. I saw it land and lost focus on it almost immediately.
very small black and white each wing about triangle on top of bottle cap had several that danced with and on me - clothes skin water bottle etc while i sat and contemplated at the waterfall.
Dull brown heavier (moth?) about one and half to 2 inches
large very bright white about 2 and half or 3 inches, 5 to 8 cm
small bright white about 2.5cm one inch
very small bright yellow about 2cm max

19th oct at dock waiting to board the ferry to Koh Rong saw a red white and grey butterfly just a little bigger than our regular black or white ones - it was three sold blocks of colour and very pretty as it moved. I looked up as it moved out of sight to see the rafter beams painted red the inside of corrugated iron roof unpainted grey and the walls of the building bright white - cant help but wonder if it is adapting camoflage.

21st Oct I took a walk through the trees and along beach from Koh Rong village and lots of lovely nature experiences.

The butterflys were numerous today along with monkeys and a snake!

First one was lots of very very tiny delicate white butterflys about 5mm total wingspan thats a mere half a centimeter.
Next a very ordinary size orange and brown one that had huge camoflage.
Then a bigger one with long body and wings at top normal size/shape then a lobe at bottom making like earlobe sorta shape but the bottom had bright eye on it. Would look about the size of large kitten face making it most un butterfly like.

Also saw bright orange/yellow centipede on the beach with lots of yellow and orange leaves it matched well with.

26/10/17
Since I left the island I have not seen many butterflies - until today. The usual small white ones a couple of middling to large black ones and todays special new addition:
A very pretty just off white had a delicate lace like antique border effect in orange brown and black. It blended beautifully with the sandstone rocks in beige and orange tones and their markings of dirt in the natural cracks.

I love nature!

Will edit this post when additions :)

1 month 2 days ago #4711 by Angela

Robyn Lockhart wrote:

In order of appearance

Pretty markings similar size and appearance but slightly less white than our monarch butterfly which was perfect camouflage in the orange/brown leaves. I saw it land and lost focus on it almost immediately.
very small black and white each wing about triangle on top of bottle cap had several that danced with and on me - clothes skin water bottle etc while i sat and contemplated at the waterfall.

19th oct at dock waiting to board the ferry to Koh Rong saw a red white and grey butterfly just a little bigger than our regular black or white ones - it was three sold blocks of colour and very pretty as it moved. I looked up as it moved out of sight to see the rafter beams painted red the inside of corrugated iron roof unpainted grey and the walls of the building bright white - cant help but wonder if it is adapting camoflage.

21st Oct I took a walk through the trees and along beach from Koh Rong village and lots of lovely nature experiences.

First one was lots of very very tiny delicate white butterflys about 5mm total wingspan thats a mere half a centimeter.
Then a bigger one with long body and wings at top normal size/shape then a lobe at bottom making like earlobe sorta shape but the bottom had bright eye on it. Would look about the size of large kitten face making it most un butterfly like.

Also saw bright orange/yellow centipede on the beach with lots of yellow and orange leaves it matched well with.

I love nature!

It's actually very beautiful to read of you enjoying the natural world Robyn, as we could all benefit from some time out in our day to commune with nature. It quietens our minds, soothes our souls and brings us back to what life really is all about. It actually grieves me to see the damage mankind is doing and wiping out so many species. I hope we soon see some of the photos you have taken. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deb Deb

1 month 2 days ago #4707 by Deb Deb
Thank you for your wildlife report, Robyn. I am enjoying your holiday every step, every nibble, every experience along your way.

1 month 2 days ago #4696 by Robyn Lockhart

In order of appearance

I love nature!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Anita:Technical Support, Gill Poole, Angela, Deb Deb

1 month 4 days ago #4641 by Gill Poole
Those fish massages are delightful aren't they... tickle tickle

1 month 4 days ago #4636 by Robyn Lockhart
lol indeed pirhanas are a different ball park but these small fish approx 3 to 6 inches (8 to 15cm) were lovely to feel.

1 month 4 days ago #4635 by Paddy Delaney
Lovely Robyn, I would not try this in the Amazon river

1 month 4 days ago #4617 by Robyn Lockhart
Some firsts today:
A fish foot massage. Quite a weird tickling almost grating sensation as they nibbled at my skin. would definitely do it again before leaving cambodia.

i got to the place to board our bus after picked up from hotel couldn't find my ticket last place i remembered it was at hotel. Couldn't find it in any of my bags fronted up to counter with envelope of tour place i booked it from for a different booking and they asked which hotel and i was saying day sunrise they immediately knew sunrise hotel and i said yes and they produced my ticket from the drawer -the hotel people had dropped it there before the pick up round was completed!

A hotel/sleeping bus approx 8pm to 7am 11 hours travelling from go to whoa on a hotel bus instead of seats sleeping platforms for two people - on the bus tonight all persons travelling alone were given a whole platform couples shared space was a shorter double bed sized very comfortable for me slept well the whole trip, the buses gentle movement put me to sleep easily. The bus held forty people so similar to regular bus in capacity but more comfort. would have been tight if sharing though!

One big plus for combo of these things esp the foot nibbles and sleeping bus is i don't have swollen ankles today!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anita:Technical Support, Angela, Deb Deb, Kapil Arn

1 month 6 days ago #4537 by Gill Poole

Robyn Lockhart wrote: Two interesting happenings today was walking along and felt a needle like sensation where the elastic in my knickers was against skin. Initially thought it was a seed or grass in there pricking but it happened too many times in quick succession.and was told later by tuk tuk driver who spotted ants on my hand. Now I know where ants in your pants expression comes from!

The other was the Phare circus WOW just wow! If you know anyone going to cambodia tell them its a must so much talent in that show. Had the best seat in house by the musos. Two very talented persons who played interchangeably keyboard, drums, xylophone like local instruments, recorder/flute, guitar etc. It always seemed a band not a duo! At the end we were told they composed all the music for the show!!!!

Pleased you enjoyed it...isn't it great to see the Cambodian's rising up from there horrific past... in such a creative way.

1 month 6 days ago - 1 month 6 days ago #4536 by PattiH
Glad you are enjoying yourself Robyn and telling us of your travels!

Enjoy reading your posts.

Partner S2T

1 month 6 days ago #4535 by Robyn Lockhart
Two interesting happenings today was walking along and felt a needle like sensation where the elastic in my knickers was against skin. Initially thought it was a seed or grass in there pricking but it happened too many times in quick succession.and was told later by tuk tuk driver who spotted ants on my hand. Now I know where ants in your pants expression comes from!

The other was the Phare circus WOW just wow! If you know anyone going to cambodia tell them its a must so much talent in that show. Had the best seat in house by the musos. Two very talented persons who played interchangeably keyboard, drums, xylophone like local instruments, recorder/flute, guitar etc. It always seemed a band not a duo! At the end we were told they composed all the music for the show!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anita:Technical Support, Deb Deb, Kapil Arn

1 month 1 week ago #4495 by Angela

In order of appearance

How lovely to have such beautiful little creatures surrounding you and on you. You must be feeling so relaxed now Robyn and enjoying the ambience there. Thank you too for taking the time to write about the smaller things as well as the more exciting things you are experiencing. xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anita:Technical Support

Time to create page: 2.333 seconds

Translate

Login

Events

November 2017
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25